international students, visa restrictions, study in the uk, visa advice
College Search
What do you want to study?
See Also

Your student visa... restrictions

If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA) or a Swiss national you will not need a visa to study or work in the UK.

"UKIf this is not the case, here are a couple of guidelines that were introduced in 2010 that you should be aware of:
  • International students are required to reach an ‘intermediate’ level of English before studying in the UK.
  • Students planning on studying for less than 6 months are not permitted to bring dependents with them.

The rules of the Adult Student Visa (a Child Student Visa applies to those international students who are under the age of 18) also state that:
  • You must be on a course of full time study.
  • For a university degree or higher qualification the maximum visa length is four years.
  • You can work up to 20 hours per week at a part time job during term time, and full time during the holidays.
  • If the course includes placements, they can make up up to 50% of it. The rest must be made up of study.
  • You may have to prove that you have the funds to support yourself (and any dependents) for the first year of the course, if the course lasts longer than nine months. The money cannot be in investments, but must be in a savings or bank account.
For details on the application process and on applying for your visa from both inside and outside the UK visit

More further information visit
We Also Recommend...
  • Graduate Careers Guide
  • School Leavers Guide
  • Postgraduate Guide

View All

Log in | Not a Member? Join Here